Sunday, September 24, 2006

What, me study? – Sept 20th

Ok, so tomorrow is the big placement test; all of the sp3 (temporary) foreign students will take this test together, and then later in the afternoon there will be a 入学式, or official entrance ceremony into the program. Today, some of us had the bright idea to attempt to actually study for the test, so wemet up at the rotary to get some lunch, then hit the books, so to speak.

We went down to 一風堂 to get some Ramen. Ippuudou is a famous ramen chain, and I must say that it lives up to its reputation. This is the kind of food you simply can’t get in the States. Afterwards we walked down to building 19, the SILS main building, and sat around the lounge for a while, trying to study for a test you aren’t supposed to study for.

Eventually, all of us except Hans had given up on studying. Billy left, and Derek, Peta and myself all sat around chatting and mocking Hans for being so studious. A big guy came in and looked around at the posters on the wall, and asked me if I spoke English (since all our conversations had been in Japanese; in fact yesterday has been the only time since I arrived where I spoke more English than Japanese). He was an exchange student named Nick from Italy, who had arrived in Japan not four hours ago. Nick was trying to figure out how and when we’d be signing up for classes. I took him to the office to ask the receptionist, since I was curious as well. We talked for a while longer before he wished us luck on tomorrow’s test and took off. I got home and my host family actually helped me study some kanji I had forgotten. Somewhere between anxious and confident, I hit the hay; I’d have to be at the school by 9am for the test.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Dave, now we know that you are a very good writer. I was only going to read a few entries, but I ended up reading everything up to date (up to the day before the placement test. Sachiko tells me that you will get the results of the test tomorrow. Good luck. Sounds like you're doing a lot of drinking. Also, the food sound delicious. Have you gained any weight? I told Ward (at school) that you might be traveling to Taiwan and he said he could tell you about interesting places to go to. His wife is from there and Ward has been to Taiwan many times to visit with Julie. Also, GP said if you want to go to China, he would hook you up with his guide. GP is thinking about visiting China again, in the spring.

Anonymous said...

わーい!!一風堂だぁ。
おいしかった??

またコメントします。