Saturday, October 21, 2006

meltdown

ok, so I guess I wasn't out of the woods yet; my hard drive decided to crash again, this time giving me a friendly "unbootable volume" error. I finally got ahold of a floppy disk to make a Hitachi boot disk with analysis and formatting tools. Lo and behold, the tests showed data corruption, and recovery attempts resulted in a "drive defective" message. I'm now running a low-level format on the drive to see whether I can spare this thing; I've been considering getting a new laptop, since this one is getting old and has been nothing but trouble the past few weeks.

And for those of you who didn't get anything out of that; my computer done broke again, and I lost two or three entries I hadn't posted yet. I'll try to rewrite them and get them up for you, now that I'm almost a whole month behind.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't worry honey. take your time:)

Anonymous said...

you can't take your time!!
I can't wait to read your log :P

bad luck dane~~... あまり落ち込まないように。

Anonymous said...

log!! → blog です^^;

BrianB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BrianB said...

After accidentally losing half an entry I decided to do a few things to keep everything safe and dandy with my journal.

For my journal.
1: USB drive backup EVERY time.
2: Email myself a backup file. (zipped with password)

For my pictures.
1: DVD backups on the CHEAP bulk DVD's you can get. And then major back up on good quality DVDs.
2: Back up webspace for important pictures.

This worked for my whole trip. I considered a harddisk, but considering the earthquakes, things that can go wrong, I decided hard copies of DVD's and USB backups for text. It worked extremely well.

I hope you can get things fixed, I am sure it is frustrating. I hated falling even a few days behinds sometimes. Of course, no one ever read (or will read).

Good luck and don't stress. I'm sure many worse things will go wrong, but it will all be ok in the end and you'll wish you can do it all over when you finish. Everything will be ok, even if it seems to be upsetting as all hell sometimes.

Oh, and I'll see you in March while I'm studying at Yokohama for a year or two. Maybe we can go drinking and... I can watch you drink.

Anonymous said...

You can also store backups on my server once I've gotten things set up for you.

-D

ナイス外人 said...

Thanks for your support, everyone. The drive is officially defective, and I now need to find a way to get it back to Hitachi, either here or back in the states. I bought a new drive the other day and it is running quite well now. I still have yet to discover exactly what led to the failure, or if it was even avoidable at all. I now must do what I can to catch up with this journal.

BrianB said...

You can only do so much... just summarize what you can of how things have been. You can expect to catch up on that much time, but you still have at least 9 months still.

I hope the computer situation goes ok from now on. Best of luck to you.