Monday, November 06, 2006

Kuma Keychain and CSU Nomikai - Oct 19th

I didn't do too much today, but I did get this nifty Okuma keychain at the Waseda cafe. We had a CSU dinner planned tonight, so I killed time at the ICC lounge with Hans and Katy until Shek's class. After sitting in on the class, I walked over to the rotary with Dr. Shek and headed to the dinner, being held at a nice izakaya called Uotami. The nomihoudai had just started, so I got busy ordering drinks for myself and the rest of the table. The food wasn't too bad, but the drinks were actually the best I had thus far at an izakaya. I soon set about, nomadically moving to each table, ordering more drinks and striking up conversation with the other students. By the end of the nomihoudai, Hans had turned bright red and tossed his biscuits in the ladies bathroom, much to the surprise of the girl who saw him coming out of the restroom.

I, maintaining a slight buzz, pondered with everyone else what to do with the remainder of the evening. A few of the students already had plans to go out partying elsewhere, and James and Ehtesham and a few others were going up to bowl in Big Box. Dr. Shek had been so kind as to let me park my bicycle at his apartment, so I had to go back with him. Eventually the group snowballed into Dr. Shek, myself, Hans, Bob, Hilary, and for some reason, Claire, who was apparently toasted. We ran into a few of the WIC folks coming out of a meeting, and I snapped off a photo (I think the look on Hilary's face is priceless). Shek invited us all in to take a look at his humble abode, which is like a scaled down version of my host-family's place. Impressive digs indeed. Bob had to go continue his journey to his dorms, and the rest of us naturally fell into pairs and started chatting. Hans and Hilary were talking about their plans for later, and Shek and I discussed religion and philosophy, with Claire piping in some random unrelated comments ad nauseum. We concluded the evening with Hans and Claire and myself walking back to the rotary, with my bike in tow; I couldn't just leave a wounded man on the battlefield... Claire let us know that her only requirement to call someone a friend is that they know her name. An interesting, if not completely clueless take on interpersonal relationships. The evening was full of sideways glances and eye-rolling. My sarcasm muscles are getting tired from all this exercise. Yikes.

1 comment:

kt said...

haha holy crap i had to save that picture.