Monday, November 20, 2006

Soukeisen - Oct 29th

I have a confession to make... I Don't really care for baseball.

Yes, I did little league as a kid, and no, I didn't suck. But I never got along very well with my teammates, or the coach for that matter. Moreover, the entire game is like a Pennzoil ad; all stop and go. I've been to a Giants game before, and I think I slept through at least half of it. I was just never able to get into the game, or understand the mindset of those who could. Then I came to Japan, and found out what it's like to have fun at a baseball game.

Waseda has a rivalry with Keio University that is about as old as the schools themselves. This rivalry manifests itself in baseball and rugby games, and is called the 早慶戦 (Soukeisen, derived from the kanji in the school's names). Invariably, Waseda is the victor. Twice a year, there is a baseball tournament between the two schools (best of 3 games), and today is the second round of the fall championship. Surprisingly, Keio took the first game, so even if Waseda wins today, the victory parade would have to be postponed until the final game on Monday.

Having gone to bed way too late, I woke up around 9 or 10 o'clock, already missing the meeting time at Setagaya station. Hans had gone home to shower and change, and returned about the time I woke up. We were still really tired, but had already bought the tickets and didn't want to waste them. We rode the Chuo line back to Nakano, where I got off and rode the bus back to my place. I had conveniently forgotten my ticket at home, so I had an opportunity for a quick shower before returning to the station. Hans had stayed behind so he could nap on the platform, and my host mom was kind enough to drive me back to Nakano station.

We got to Sendagaya around 11 or 12, with only an hour or so to go before the beginning of the game. Already the stands behind first and third base had been filled to capacity, and we were herded into the bleachers behind right field (after identifying ourselfs as Waseda students). We could see the WIC students in their bright pink windbreakers, along with many fellow CSU students, but we were barred from going to meet with them. To make doubly sure, we tried asking some cheerleaders and stadium employees if we could join our friends, and were met with a wall of indirect "no"s, even though we could clearly see empty seats in the adjacent bleachers. We slumped back into our chairs, exiled to the wastelands. I can't say that I regretted not arriving 4 hours earlier, but I did want to watch the game with our friends.

Each school has its own 応援団 (Ouendan - cheer club) that wear old-style school uniforms and nazi-esque armbands to signify their school affiliation. These guys are incredible; the entire game they are on their feet, either singing, shouting, dancing, playing an instrument, or otherwise directing the crowd to cheer for our team. Their enthusiasm is infectious, and sitting right across the aisle from the band (full of Ouendan members), it was impossible to refuse their orders to stand, link arms, sing, and chant for Waseda. Everyone would stand the entire inning Waseda was up to bat; The cheering is so intense and involved, we practically ignored what was going on in the game, save for the batter's name so we could properly incorporate it into our chants.

Perhaps it was because we were constantly on the move, the game went by extremely fast. Before we knew it it was the bottom of the 9th inning, and we were still behind by one point. With a man on first and two outs, the last batter's name rang out through the stands. Three balls and two strikes, and everyone was singing wildly the same song we'd been yelling for the entire inning. The next thing I know, I look up to see a fly ball fast approaching the stands. It came to rest about ten feet directly in front of where we were sitting, taking both runners home, and winning the game for Waseda. The bleachers erupted in jubilation, cries of joy and hugging random people, followed by more singing. Finally, as the winners, we got to sing our school song first, with everyone raising and lowering their arms in unison. I could only imagine what it must feel like to be on the other side of the stadium, watching a huge crowd of your rivals giving the victory nazi salute dance to the tune of their school song. Afterwards, we smugly watched the Keio crowd sing their own boring song, and when the ceremonies had ended, began to flood from the stands. I ran into Shun and Peta, who we didn't realize had been sitting only a few yards behind us. Peta had enjoyed a luncheon of alcohol along with the game, and was stumbling comically towards the bathroom.

We met the WIC folks and the other students in front of the gates, and moved towards an art museum, where we took a group photo. Hilary had sat next to Claire the whole game, and had taken her frustration out by beating her cheering clappers together so hard her hands turned red. Although the championship still hadn't been clinched, there was a victory nomikai planned nonetheless, and we all headed back towards baba. Hans, who was exhausted all day, went straight home in order to pass out. We arrived at baba and ran into John (another CSU student) who watched the game at home and saw Hans and I on the TV during the seventh inning stretch. I was writing an e-mail to Sacchan, sending her a photo of the game I had taken with my phone, and so John saw me looking down at my phone, whilst absentmindedly raising my arm and singing the school song with the rest of the crowd. I wish I could get ahold of that video.

Everyone moved towards the izakaya where the nomikai was planned. I got as far as the top of the stairs and chickened out. Winning the game gave me a second wind, but I was fading fast, and desperately needed to pass out again. Back home once again, I finally found my bed and got some long overdue rest.

3 comments:

BrianB said...

Wow, your first response is by a God damn spammer again... I think you might want to turn off Anonymous.

Anyway, I remember the soukeisen. I went once, and not going again. I can understand team pride, but it quickly got to the point of cult fevor. It is a bit much for me... I'm not a baseball or sports fan, but half way through I just wanted to sit down and watch Keio get ripped to pieces as usual. Although, sometimes they do actually win.

Sounds like you had a good time though. For me, it was one of those "cultural moments." You don't go for the game, you go for the behavior in the stands.

Anonymous said...

Meh, Baseball is okay. Not my sport, but I think that any live sporting event is something worth attending, especially if you're somehow involved in the community. So I'll make it a point to head off to the game nice and early when I hit Waseda next year. *grin*

And, for the record, I suck at baseball. In fact, it seems that I'm only good at sports that involve hurting other people. *shrug* Unless Air Hockey is a sport.

-D

ナイス外人 said...

well, I get more anonymous comments from people I know than from spammers, so I'll just weed them out when I sees them...

and yeah, spectator sports are just infinitely more entertaining here, especially when you watch them with people who are into it (but not jumping off the deep-end). I just watched a volleyball and soccer game tonight with my family, and it was a lot of fun. I'll actually be going to the SouMeisen (rugby match with Meiji) this weekend, if I can.